ISHPEMING — An Ishpeming home is a total loss after it caught fire over the weekend.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department was called to 713 N 2nd Street at around 11:30 Saturday morniong after reports of a fire. When they arrived, crews found flames coming from the basement and first floor of the house. The first floor quickly collapsed into the basement, where a fireplace was located.

Firefighters remained on the scene for about 6 hours extinguishing hot spots. They were called back around 7:00 Saturday evening for a rekindle and stayed for 45 minutes.

The home’s owner, David McNease, who was not home at the time of the incident, told firefighters he had lit the fireplace before leaving the house for the day. A preliminary investigation shows that this or the chimney in the basement was most likely the cause of the fire. No one was injured in the blaze. The home was insured at the time of the fire, but is considered to be a total loss.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist McNease and provided firefighter’s with water, Gatorade, hot coffee and sandwiches. The Marquette County Pigs & Heat Fund was also contacted to provide relief.

Marquette County Rescue 131, Ishpeming Township Fire Department, Negaunee City Fire Department, Bell Memorial EMS, Ishpeming City Police and Ishpeming Public Works Department assisted at the scene.