Minor fire breaks out in Marquette

MARQUETTE — A minor fire broke out in Marquette early this morning.

Firefighters from the Marquette Fire Department say they responded to reports of a structure fire at 340 Whetstone Village just before 3 a.m.

While on route, central dispatch informed responders that an occupant saw flames and the building was evacuated. Police on scene confirmed that the occupant did extinguish the fire using an ABC fire extinguisher.

It was determined that a charging system for an electric powered bike was the cause of the fire. The flooring and the bike was damaged, but no one was injured.

The occupant will be receiving assistance from the Pigs N Heat Fire Relief Fund.