ONTONAGON — A fire destroyed a vehicle in Ontonagon Monday morning.
The Ontonagon County Sheriff’s Office says the incident happened at Blake Oil and Auto Service shortly after 10:00 a.m. A 1992 Oldsmobile was brought in to the station for repairs on a leaking gas tank. The car was parked outside, and when it was shut off, it backfired. Smoke was witnessed coming from the vehicle moments later.
Service station attendants attempted to put out the flames with fire extinguishers, but they were unsuccessful. The Ontonagon Village Fire Department was then dispatched to the scene along with the Sheriff’s Office to extinguish the fire.
The Sheriff’s Office says the vehicle was a total loss, but no injuries were reported in the incident.