Fire claims pickup truck in Ontonagon

An Ontonagon man’s vehicle was destroyed by an electrical fire Wednesday afternoon.

Officers from the Ontonagon County Sheriff’s Office say they were called to the parking lot behind Aspirus Ontonagon Hospital shortly before 2:30 p.m. Upon arrival, they found the 1994 Dodge pickup of Robert Shamion fully engulfed in flames.

Soon after parking his pickup, Shamion noticed glowing wires under the dash. He attempted to stop the apparent electrical short, but the wires caught fire and he was unable to put them out.

The Ontonagon Village Fire Department was called to the scene to extinguish the fire. No injuries were reported, but the vehicle was deemed a total loss. M-64 NAPA Auto Parts and Repair’s towing service removed it from the scene.