The Escanaba Department of Public Safety is reminding people to take precautions after a recent string of car breaking and enterings.
Police say people can reduce the risk of becoming a victim by:
- lock your vehicle
- keep windows closed when your car is unattended
- never leave valuables in plain sight, including purses, briefcases and money
- park in well lit areas; avoid parking near dumpsters or wooded areas
- keep keys with you
- never leave keys in ignition
- avoid leaving vehicle unattended for long periods of time
- if possible, park in a garage
Police say there are no surefire rules for preventing a breaking and entering, but these simple steps will help decrease the odds of a theft or damage to your car.