WASHINGTON, DC: Dr. Dan Benishek (MI-01) today announced that his office is currently accepting applications from constituents interested in a nomination to the U.S. Military, Naval, Air Force, and Merchant Marine Academies.
“I’m proud to call Northern Michigan home. I know firsthand that we have many eager young men and women who would do an outstanding job in one of our nation’s service academies. We have the best military in the world and I’m honored to take applications from Michigan students,” said Dr. Benishek.
To qualify for nomination, applicants must:
1. Be a citizen of the United States
2. Be a legal resident of Michigan’s First District
3. Have earned an above average academic record
4. Be 17-years-old, but not yet past one’s 23rd birthday (on July 1st of the year one enters a military academy)
5. Be medically qualified
6. Score near or above the published averages on a candidate fitness assessment
Applicants will be required to fill out an application form, submit academic transcripts, standardized test scores (ACT or SAT), three letters of recommendation, a resume and a short essay explaining why they want to attend a service academy. The application deadline is September 17, 2012. This information and other resources can be found on Dr. Benishek’s congressional website at the link below.
Once the applications are received, an independent advisory board comprised of First District residents will interview the candidates. Dr. Benishek will make the nominations and all accepted nominees will be notified in the early half of 2013.