Federal Habitat Money for U.P. Landowners

If you own land in the U.P. and you’re interested in improving the natural habitat on that land, you may be able to get federal money to do it.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has nearly $9 million for Michigan landowners.

The money can be used to improve the wildlife habitat on private land.

It can cover planting, mowing and certain kinds of work on forested areas to clear out older jack pine.

USDA district conservationist Jean Gagliardo says the only area in the U.P. that’s eligible for the funding is the combined watershed of the Tacoosh and Whitefish Rivers.

But there are other federal programs with funding for habitat work outside the watershed as well.

For more information on how to apply for those, you can get in touch with the USDA office in Marquette at 226-9460, extension 127.