Hundreds of voted were casted and here†are the top five vote-getters for the top sports story of 2016 in the Upper Peninsula.
What was the best sports story of 2016?
- North Central wins basketball and football titles in the same year (31%, 284 Votes)
- Gwinn football clinches first playoff berth in 17 years. (24%, 216 Votes)
- Hancock wins Division 3 high school hockey championship for the first time since 2000. (19%, 174 Votes)
- Westwood boys basketball rides Cinderella run to state quarterfinals. (12%, 111 Votes)
- Marquette wins Hockeyville USA competition. (8%, 70 Votes)
- Calumet football shocks Negaunee for second straight year to win district championship. (3%, 28 Votes)
- Michigan Tech hockey wins MacNaughton Cup for the first time in 40 years. (3%, 23 Votes)
- Northern Michigan football head coach Chris Ostrowsky is let go and Michigan Tech football head coach Tom Kearly retires. (1%, 5 Votes)
- Menominee football advances to Division 5 state championship game. (0%, 4 Votes)
- Lady Wildcats basketball stun Lady Huskies (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 915