Ishpeming fire puts a halt to H.S. float building

ISHPEMING – A fire in the city of Ishpeming brought a scare to about 30 freshmen high school students tonight and put a dent in their float building for homecoming.

The Ishpeming Fire Department was called to a gas leak at 8:00 p.m. Just moments later, a house fire was reported at 118 Barnum St. Students were building a float for Friday’s homecoming football game against Norway.  About 30 kids were in the garage when the house above it caught fire.  They were alerted from a neighbor across the street that the house was burning.

Marquette County Rescue Squad 131 and the Ishpeming Police Dept. both assisted at the scene. No injuries have been reported at this time.