Girl Scouts & Michigan Taxes

If you haven’t filed your state income tax return yet, you have a chance to help out local Girl Scouts when you turn it in.

Charitable organizations can receive voluntary contributions from you when you file a 2011 State of Michigan individual return.

Girl Scouts have been chosen as one of the groups that can receive those donations.

It’s the first time ever for them.

Non–profits have to go through a state application process to make it onto the returns.

Leslie Bek of the Girl Scouts of the Northwest Great Lakes says donations made through tax returns will remain local — any money obtained from U.P. residents will stay in the U.P.

The Girl Scouts donation option can be found on the 2011 Michigan Voluntary Contributions Schedule.

That’s Michigan Department of Treasury Form 4642.

Posted by: Mike Hoey