Small kitchen fire in Ishpeming

Small kitchen fire in Ishpeming

An elderly woman has been taken to the hospital after a small kitchen fire in Ishpeming Friday night.

The Ishpeming Fire Department says the fire happened around 6:45 p.m. at the Pioneer Bluff Apartments, located at 111 Bluff Street.  When firefighters arrived on scene, they found a fourth floor apartment filled with smoke.

They say a plastic bowl has ignited in the microwave, causing considerable smoke to the apartment.  The fire was out when firefighters arrived, and damage was contained to the microwave.

Bell Memorial Hospital EMS transported an 82-year-old woman, who was in the apartment, to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire department was on scene for around 40 minutes.

Residents of the apartment complex were evacuated from the building and were allowed to return to their apartments around 7:30 p.m.

Thirteen firefighters with two fire trucks responded to the scene, and no other injuries were reported.