Manistique House Fire

A family of four escaped from a burning house in Manistique this morning by breaking out a window.

According to Manistique Public Safety, firefighters responded at about 9 am to the home at 923 Deer Street.

The first floor of the home was fully engulfed when fire crews arrived.

They worked for about an hour to bring the blaze under control.

They were hampered by the extreme cold weather, high west winds and the age and construction of the building.

The home, an attached garage and a vehicle in the garage were destroyed.

Two of the family’s three dogs were lost in the fire.

The kitchen stove was being used as a heat source and was on with the door open when the fire started.

The man, woman and two young children in the home were not injured.

Tagged with