Gladstone Public Safety was dispatched to a small grass fire on the side of M-35 midway up the North Hill.
The fire was called in by a passing motorist. Public Safety was able to quickly put out the fire. It was determined that the cause of the fire was a discarded cigarette.
The fire danger in Upper Michigan has been high this spring. The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is asking residents to use extreme caution outdoors in any activity that could cause sparks to ignite the dry terrain.