ISHPEMING, Mich. (WBUP) — As we get ready to “fall back” this Sunday, it’s also a great time to look forward at fire safety.
For over 100 years, the siren at the Ishpeming Fire Department has alerted firefighters and made the community aware about fires in the area.
The potentially life or death fire calls are a reminder for the community to stay away from the area and clear the roads so firefighters can get to the station and get to an emergency quickly.
Fire safety is important year-round, but residents can take some extra steps to being safe this winter.
The state provided the fire department with smoke alarms to install into qualifying residents homes.
The fire department reminds all residents that it is important to maintain both fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
A lot of calls in the area are because fire alarms or carbon monoxide detectors aren’t working properly, according to officials.
That’s why it is important to make sure you have enough alarms and detectors in your home as well as make sure they are working and the batteries haven’t died.