Small structure fire sends woman to the hospital

NEGAUNEE TOWNSHIP — One person was taken to the hospital this morning after a fire at a residence in Negaunee Township.

The Negaunee Township Fire Department was called out to a house on Midway Drive shortly before 12pm. According to a firefighter with the department, the fire started on a chair in a bedroom.

A mom and her son, who were both home at the time of the fire, were able to get out of the house quickly. Smoke was seen coming out of the residence for a brief time.

The mother was taken to U.P. Health System – Bell for treatment of smoke inhalation. There is no word at this time on how the fire started.