Ishpeming fire scalds apartment complex

Ishpeming fire scalds apartment complex

A fire broke out at an Ishpeming apartment complex this afternoon. ABC 10 reporter Rick Tarsitano was at the scene.

Around 1:30pm on Wednesday, the Ishpeming Fire Department responded to a call regarding a structure fire in the 300 block of W. Johnson Road in Ishpeming.

UPPCO officials had to cut power to the building and the surrounding area, so the remaining flames could be extinguished safely. Firefighters promptly scrubbed up, implementing breathing apparatuses to combat the heavy smoke pouring out of the lower level. The entire neighborhood watched as fans were fastened to adjacent window frames to help ventilate the smoldering complex.

According to eyewitness reports, a woman inside of the apartment complex had lit a candle near her bed when she had gone into shower. Her two small children then quickly alerted her that the bed had started on fire. She tried to put the fire out before calling 911. Luckily, she was able to get herself and her children to safety.

All of the tenants, that were inside the building at the time of the fire, followed the woman’s lead and were able to vacate the premises unharmed. But the structure of the building was charred from the ground up, with personal possessions scattered across the lawn.

Fortunately for everyone involved, the Ishpeming Fire Department, the Negaunee Fire Department, the Marquette County Sheriff’s Department, UPPCO, and Bell Hospital EMS were steadfast in their efforts.

Tagged with