Sulfur odor in home caused by lawn mower battery

KINGSFORD — A lawn mower battery was the cause of a strong odor coming from a home in Kingsford Monday morning.

The Kingsford Public Safety Department responded a home on the 100 block of West Wilson Street just after 8 a.m. after receiving a report of an odor in the home.

Officers detected a sewer gas/sulfur odor, which corresponded to poor air quality on the department’s gas/air detector and evacuated the home.  After investigating, it would discovered the odor was coming from a lawn mower battery being stored on a charger in the basement.

The battery was removed and air quality in the home began to improve.

Kingsford Public Safety would like to remind residents that storing automobile batteries in a house for the winter is not recommended.

The Kingsford Department of Public Works, DTE, and Blagec Brother Heating and Air Conditioning assisted on scene.

Officers were on scene for about a hour.