Enhanced Licenses A Go for 2009

Michigan gets a federal OK for a plan to help out businesses and people who just travel for fun.

The Department of Homeland Security is allowing Michigan enhanced driver’s licenses to take the place of passports at border crossings.

Anyone entering or leaving the country will need to have a passport, or an approved substitute, starting next June.

Besides making recreational travel easier, it should really help sustain Michigan businesses.

Michigan’s trade with Canada is worth $70 billion a year, more than any U.S. state.

The price of the enhanced licenses hasn’t been set yet, but the Department of State says they’ll be $50 at most.

They’ll go on sale sometime next spring.