UPDATE — 1 p.m. Tuesday, March 24, 2015 — The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department¬† believes that the structure fire started from an electrical short in the child’s bedroom. There were no working smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire.

ISHPEMING — A house in Ishpeming was damaged by fire early Tuesday morning.

Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department firefighters say they were called out to a structure fire at 640 Maurice Street shortly before 2:00 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke coming from the home’s second floor. They entered the home and discovered the blaze in an upstairs bedroom. The fire was contained to that bedroom, which was heavily damaged. The rest of the structure suffered moderate smoke and water damage.

Homeowners Matthew and Sarah Rich, their adult son, and their 10-year-old child were home at the time of the fire. Officers from the Ishpeming Police Department arrived at the scene shortly before firefighters and alerted crews that everyone was out of the residence. No injuries were reported.

The Ishpeming Volunteer Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Ishpeming City Police Department and the Marquette County Rescue 131 Unit. Firefighters say the American Red Cross and Marquette County Pigs-N-Heat fire relief fund will provide assistance.