Courtesy of Michigan Tech University Athletics
HOUGHTON, Mich. – Black defeated Gold 40-33 in the Michigan Tech women’s basketball alumni game on Saturday, Aug. 9 at the SDC Gym. The Huskies had 27 former players, including five Hall of Famers, come back to participate in the women’s basketball reunion and play a game in front of the program’s faithful fans.
Black led from start to finish. A late run by Gold cut it to single digits in the final 2:00 but Black made a couple steals and a few free throws to keep Gold at bay.
“The whole weekend has been awesome,” Tech coach Kim Cameron, who played for Black, said. “I’m really proud of the different generations that have been able to come back. It was great for our current players to meet everyone and see what it’s like to be a Husky forever.
“We’ve had so much fun hanging out all weekend, and it was awesome to see the competitiveness today.”
Black’s balanced scoring attack was led by Michigan Tech Hall of Famer Allison (Bailey) Bottoms with a game-high 11 points. Krista Kasuboski added nine, while Connie (Pleshe) Borseth buried a pair of threes, and Darla (Innes) Olson scored two buckets inside. All but one player scored for the winners.
“Throwing the ball inside and getting some efficient buckets was the key for today’s win,” Hall of Famer and current Northern Kentucky head coach Dawn (Zarling) Plitzuweit said. “It’s fun to be out there with a bunch of old ladies who think they can still get up and down.
“I was impressed with the quality of play today. You can really tell the discipline that’s been with the program for a long time. There was a lot of communication out there. It’s fun being in that environment and playing with others who understand the game.”
Jenny (Sorenson) Wypch, who will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in October, led Gold with 10 points, while Elizabeth (Pietila) Aho added six. Maria Kasza, Sara (Ferris) Moilanen and Kristin (Hager) Peterson all nailed treys.
Below is a list of those who played in today’s game.
– *Darla (Innes) Olson 1988-93
– *Dawn (Zarling) Plitzuweit 1990-91, 92-95
– *Allison (Bailey) Bottoms 1997-2001
– Kim Cameron 2001-05
– JanaLee (Rondorf) Knapmiller 1995-99
– Clara (Goggins) Pond 1996-2000
– Sara Esser 1994-98
– Connie (Pleshe) Borseth 1989-93
– Maria (Schneider) Hartzheim 2002-06
– Krista Kasuboski 2007-12
– Cheri Meier 1986-90
– Pam (FitzGerald) Davis 1987-91
– Lauri (Engman) LaBar 1978-81
– *Carie Pejka 1988-92
– *Jenny (Postlewaite) Fesenmaier 1989-93
– Jenny (Sorenson) Wypch 1997-2001
– Maria Kasza 2007-10
– Sara (Ferris) Moilanen1995-99
– Kristin (Hager) Peterson1989-93
– Julie “Helen” Kelley 1995-99
– Kathie Kruizenga 1993-97
– Terri (Sorenson) Hartley-Hoffman 1990-94
– Sarah Stream 04-05, 06-07, 08-10
– Lynn Giesler 2008-11
– Chaunde (Shaw) DeVries 1989-93
– Traci (Vinopal) Phillips 1991-95
– Elizabeth (Pietila) Aho 1998-02
**Inducted into Michigan Tech Hall of Fame *