UPDATE: 2nd grade student starts fire at Tahquamenon Area Schools

Update October 8th 4:30 pm:

Tahquamenon Area Schools dismissed their students at 10:30 a.m. Monday morning to clean up after a small fire that was reported in the elementary wing.

At approximately 9:24am, the Newberry Fire Department responded to the scene. The elementary wing was engulfed in dense smoke. The Luce County Sheriff’s Department investigation revealed that a 2nd grade student utilized a cigarette lighter to burn a poster board hung in the hallway.

No injuries were sustained in the incident. The district says students were safely evacuated. The student responsible has been suspended at this time.


NEWBERRY — Tahquamenon Area Schools dismissed at 10:30 a.m. Monday morning to clean up after a small fire in the elementary wing.

No injuries were reported. Students were safely evacuated, the district says.

SCHOOL & EVENT CLOSINGS/DELAYSSEE ALL
+