Tax help offered to those who still need to file

MARQUETTE — Citizens across the country are required to have their tax return for 2014 filed by tomorrow. For those who have not been able to file yet, help is still available.

A lot of people who are filing their taxes today have likely encountered problems or questions that they need answered. But even for those people who still have concerns, something must be done today in order to avoid being subject to fines.

“The thing that I think is most important for everyone, whether they come here or not, is that they do have to get something filed,” said Tax Adviser Pat Brennan, “if they can’t file their return, then they should file for the extension. If they know they’re going to owe money, they should send the money in along with the extension. The IRS has a number of very convenient ways that you can do that. If you don’t have the money, you should file the extension anyway and get something going as soon as you can.”

Communication and appropriate action are key to preventing a tax lien on your credit report. One of the worst things an individual who is dealing with tax issues can do is ignore the problem.

About the Author

Caleb Scanlon
Caleb M. Scanlon is a reporter for ABC 10 / CW 5 and joined the news team in 2015. He grew up in Negaunee, where he attended Negaunee High School. Caleb completed his Bachelor's degree in Media Production and New Technologies from Northern Michigan University with a minor in Communication Studies. Caleb interned with ABC 10 / CW 5 in the fall of 2014. During his free time, Caleb enjoys spending time with his wife Samantha, his kids Fred and Lucy, and his cats Scotty, Remus, and Fitzgerald. Caleb plays a multitude of musical instruments and performs in a band called Concord Through Keys. When there isn't snow on the ground, Caleb can often be found at Al-Quaal playing disc golf.