Pets, belongings lost in Ironwood fire

IRONWOOD — A fire has claimed the belongings and pets of an Ironwood homeowner.

Officers from Ironwood Public Safety say they were called to a structure fire at 206 Southwest Street shortly before 8:00 p.m. Sunday. Upon arrival, nine officers and four volunteer firefighters found smoke coming from the entire structure. The homeowner told Ironwood Public Safety that a wood stove in the basement had caught fire, and when she opened the door to look downstairs, she found the entire basement ablaze. A smoke detector had alerted residents to the fire.

All of the homeowner’s belongings and four pets were lost. The scene was cleared shortly after 5:00 Monday morning. Firefighters were challenged on the scene by sub-zero temperatures and building construction issues.