Chimney fire sends one man to the hospital

Firefighters in Calumet Township responded to a report of smoke filling a house at around 7:45 this morning. Officers from the Houghton County Sheriff’s Office say that the source of the smoke turned out to be a chimney fire at an Oikarainen Road residence. One man was transported to Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire shortly after 8:00 a.m.

Calumet Township Fire and Rescue was assisted at the scene by the Houghton County Sheriff’s Office.