Structure fire breaks out overnight in Ishpeming

ISHPEMING — A structure fire broke out overnight in Ishpeming. Firefighters from the City of Ishpeming Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 343 South Main Street at 12:39 a.m. Thursday.

A neighbor noticed smoke coming from the roof of the home in the area of South Main Street and called 911. When the firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming through the roof ridge and attic vents of the home.

Crews gained entrance into the second floor apartment and conducted an initial search for occupants. The initial reports that there were possible three people residing in the second floor apartment, including an infant, but it was found unoccupied at the time of the fire.

Firefighters found fire in the wall between a second floor bathroom and kitchen and the fire had extended into the attic. The fire was quickly extinguished and crews remained on the scene for a little over an hour, checking the fire extension.

There was moderate smoke and fire damage to the structure. Crews cleared the scene just after 2:00 a.m.

Investigators say there were no working smoke alarms at the time of the fire, but the incident remains under investigation.

The City of Negaunee Fire Department, City of Negaunee Police, Ishpeming Police Department, UPPCO and SEMCO all assisted on the scene. The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross will be aiding the fire victims.

SCHOOL & EVENT CLOSINGS/DELAYSSEE ALL
+