MARQUETTE TOWNSHIP — It started out as a senior project at Marquette Alternative High School, but Rock The Socks is now in its third year and has become a community-wide event.
In its first two years, Rock The Socks has gathered thousands of pairs of socks for those in need. This year’s drive begins on Monday and lasts all next week. Many central U.P. schools are participating, and so are several Marquette businesses.
“We do have a lot of programs that people buy and donate things (for) during the wintertime, but we found out that not many people buy socks to donate, so we decided a couple of years ago that we would donate,” MAHS student Deserae Fortin-Green said.
“With us doing it every year, it makes our entire school just come together that much more and realize what really goes on in our community,” MAHS student Luc Dore said.
You can show your support for ‘Rock The Socks’ by dropping off new socks for infants, children and adults all next week.
Here’s a complete list of all of the drop-off locations:
- Marquette Alternative High School
- MARESA, Marquette
- The Marquette Area Public Schools central offices and athletic office
- Bothwell Middle School
- Cherry Creek Elementary School
- Sandy Knoll Elementary School
- Negaunee High School
- Ishpeming High School
- Westwood High School
- Aspen Ridge School
- Munising High School
- North Star Academy, Marquette Township
- Father Marquette Middle School, Marquette
- St. Christopher’s Preschool, Marquette
- Crayon Club Day Care, Marquette
- Hotplate Pottery & Art Studio, Marquette
- The Elder Agency, Marquette
- Select Realty, Marquette
- The YMCA Early Childhood Program, Marquette Township
- The YMCA gyms in Marquette & Negaunee