ISHPEMING — On Tuesday, May 22nd at 5:47 A.M., the City of Ishpeming Fire Department was called to a residence at 150 Bluff Street in Ishpeming by Marquette County Central Dispatch. Upon arrival, fire crews found the home’s rear deck smoldering.

The home’s owner woke up and noticed smoke and flames coming from the wooden deck. The owner called 911 and used a small portable fire extinguisher and garden hose to knock much of the fire down until fire crews arrived.

Firefighters put out the remaining fire and checked for fire extension as the fire had traveled to the exterior wall of the home. Two fire trucks and 18 Firefighters respond to the alarm and remained on scene for about 45 minutes.

Careless use of smoking materials is believed to be the cause of the fire. No injuries were reported.