ISHPEMING —  A stove fire caused damage to an Ishpeming apartment Sunday evening.

At 5:25 p.m., the City of Ishpeming Fire Department was called to an appliance fire at 715 Vine Street, Apartment #7. At the time of the fire, the apartment was occupied by two adults and three children.

The residents were cooking when grease caught fire on the stove top. The fire spread to the cabinets above the stove and nearby counter top.

One of the adult occupants called 911, got everyone out of the apartment and alerted the other residents in the building of the fire. When firefighters arrived in the area, they found smoke in the second floor hallway and heavy smoke in Apartment #7.

Fire extinguishers were used to extinguish the fire. No working smoke alarms were in the apartment, as investigators say the battery had been removed.

Fire crews cleared the scene just after 6:00 p.m. after ventilating the apartment. No injuries were reported.

The Ishpeming Police Department assisted at the scene. The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross will be aiding the fire victims.