Crane catches fire at Escanaba paper company

ESCANABA — A faulty heater connection to a large crane was determined to be the cause of a fire at an Escanaba paper company Sunday afternoon.

At approximately 3:40 p.m., Escanaba Public Safety was dispatched to Verso Paper Company for a structure fire. Upon arrival, officers noticed black smoke coming from a large metal building.

Verso employees on the scene advised responders that a building on the backside of the property was on fire. After making an interior attack of the building, it was determined that a large crane parked inside the structure had caught fire.

The fire was quickly brought under control. Officers were on scene for approximately an hour and a half.

It was determined that the fire started as a result of a faulty heater connection to the crane’s hydraulic system.