ISHPEMING — One volunteer firefighter’s quick response may have prevented a larger fire and helped save a historic building in Ishpeming on Monday night.
The City of Ishpeming Fire Department was called to a structure fire at 314 Division Street just before 6:00 p.m. One of the City of Ishpeming Volunteer Firefighters who was at the Fire Hall smelled smoke in the area and went to investigate. He found flames traveling up the rear of the house and called 911 to report the fire. He then ran back to the Fire Hall and drove one of the trucks to the scene.
Firefighters encountered a large amount of fire at the exterior rear of the structure. The fire went into the walls and gained entry into the attic and a double roof of the structure, making it difficult to extinguish the fire.
The structure is a total loss and was not insured. The volunteer firefighter’s quick actions possibly prevented a much larger fire. The house was vacant, but it is located no more than five feet from the old Andriacchi’s Grocery store, and while it is no longer open, it’s still viewed as a historic site in Ishpeming.
The scene was cleared around 10:00 p.m. No injuries were reported and fire remains under investigation.