Small apartment fire causes moderate damage

MARQUETTE — The Marquette Fire Department was dispatched to the Whetstone Village Apartments at 9:10 Thursday morning, where they found a smoldering fire in the hallway by an electrical outlet.

A member of the maintenance crew attempted to put out the fire, but had to be evacuated, and was treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

A positive pressure ventilator fan (PPV) was used to clear the building of smoke. The apartment and unit below sustained moderate smoke and fire damage.

The Marquette Board of Light and Power, the Marquette City Police and UPHS – Marquette assisted on the scene.The fire is still under investigation.