LANSING — It’s been over a month since Governor Rick Snyder and several local leaders announced a plan called ‘Project Empire,’ to help the 400 people who lost their jobs when the Empire Mine in Palmer ceased production in August.
Dave Murray, Communications Director for the Department of Talent and Economic Development, said the state is planning to host a community conversation to speak directly with families and community members affected by the closing of the mine.
The state is also working with Michigan Works! to determine what mine workers who lost their jobs want to do going forward. In the last month, Michigan Works! has seen an increase of clients, including former mine employees, looking for work.
“We have our general job seekers of course, but then we do have the rising number of people that are associated with the mine. We actually hold in our Marquette office right now, we hold an orientation specifically for the workers every Tuesday,” said Taylor Barron of Michigan Works!
“There are certain programs in the state that are available to them that they qualify for. It’s for them to learn about those programs and how to get started. That’s when they get the chance to meet with the case managers,” Barron added.
Over 100 people attended a job fair last week at the Michigan Works Service Center in Marquette.