Gladstone home sustains heavy smoke damage from fire

GLADSTONE — A Gladstone home sustained heavy smoke damage following a fire on Sunday afternoon.

At approximately 1:15 p.m., the Gladstone Public Safety Department and the Escanaba Township Fire Department responded to 1117 Minnesota Avenue for a report of a house full of smoke. Firefighters arrived and quickly extinguished the fire.

It was determined that the fire originated from a large bag of batteries that was being stored in the rear entry way of the residence. The residence sustained heavy smoke damage.

It is believed that the homeowner’s three cats perished in the fire. There were no other injuries reported.