Sauna stove determined to be cause of Escanaba structure fire

ESCANABA — An overheating sauna stove was determined to be the cause of a structure fire in Escanaba on Saturday.

At approximately 9:21 p.m., Escanaba Public Safety responded to the report of a fire at 429 South 29th Street. The caller advised that a large wooden sauna, which was 10 feet from their residence,  was on fire.

Officers arrived to the scene within minutes and knocked down the fire. Officers remained on the scene for about an hour.

The residence sustained no damage. It was determined that the wood stove inside the sauna got too hot and started one of the walls on fire.

Escanaba Public Safety was assisted by Escanaba City Electric, Rampart EMS and the Delta County Central Dispatch Center.