No injuries, moderate smoke and fire damage in early morning fire

ISHPEMING — No injuries and moderate smoke and fire damage to a building were reported after a structure fire in Ishpeming early Wednesday morning.

The City of Ishpeming Fire Department was called to a structure fire at 407 North Maple Street at 4:15 a.m. The tenant occupying the first floor apartment was thawing frozen water pipes using a Salamander space heater. The tenant noticed fire traveling up the interior wall near the space heater and called 911.

All the occupants in the first and second floor apartments evacuated the structure safely before the firefighters arrived to the scene. The firefighters discovered fire in the first floor’s wall cavity near a kitchen sink. Fire also traveled to the second floor apartment of the home.

Crews knocked down the fire quickly and ventilated the structure. They remained on scene for about an hour, checking for further fire extension.

There was moderate smoke and fire damage to the structure. No injuries were reported. The scene was cleared around 5:30 a.m.

The City of Negaunee Fire Department, Marquette County 131 Rescue, Ishpeming Fire Department, UPHS – Bell EMS and SEMCO assisted on the scene. The Pigs & Heat Fire Relief Fund and the American Red Cross will be aiding the fire victims.

SCHOOL & EVENT CLOSINGS/DELAYSSEE ALL
+