Suspect involved in standoff arraigned

UPDATE: Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 4:02 P.M. EDT

The suspect involved in a standoff in Ironwood on Tuesday was arraigned today after Gogebic County Prosecutor, Nick Jacobs authorized a five count felony warrant.

The warrant contains two counts of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, two counts of assault witha dangerous weapon, and one count of carrying a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent. Leonard Hellier, 47, of Ironwood Township was arrested Tuesday afternoon after barricading himself in his residence on Vanderhagen Road.

The initial call to law enforcement was from a neighbor who claimed that Hellier shot in the direction of his property with what is believed to be a pellet gun. Upon Officers arrival, the suspect became belligerent and threatened the officer while holding a machete. After being ordered down, the suspect refused to cooperate. He was eventually tased but retreated into his home and barricaded himself inside with weapons.

After attempting to establish contact with the suspect, members of the Gogebic Iron SWAT Team breached the residence and met by the suspect who was wielding a hatchet. After a brief struggle, the suspect was taken into custody. Hellier is being held in the Gogebic County Jail on a $300,000 cash or surety bond.

The Gogebic County Sheriff’s Office was assisted on the scene by the Michigan State Police, the Gogebic Iron Area SWAT Team, Iron County Sheriff Department, Hurley Wisconsin Police, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and Beacon ambulance.

IRONWOOD TOWNSHIP — A 47-year-old man was taken into custody after a standoff with police Tuesday afternoon in Ironwood Township.
WIMI 99.7 The Storm captured the incident live on Facebook.


Posted by WIMI The Storm on Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Gogebic County Sheriff’s Office responded to a neighbor dispute call at 2:00 p.m. The incident developed into an altercation when the suspect retreated into his residence and barricaded himself with weapons.

After negotiations failed, officers breached the residence and took the suspect into custody. He is currently being held in the Gogebic County Jail on charges related to the incident.

Additional charges could be brought forth by the prosecutor’s office. At this time, the incident remains under investigation.

No injuries were reported. The Gogebic County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the Michigan State Police, Michigan DNR, Gogebic-Iron County Swat and Beacon Ambulance.

Explosions at Standoff

Posted by WIMI The Storm on Tuesday, May 16, 2017