Report says reason boy killed himself was result of manipulative prank

UPDATE — Thursday, April 6th, 2017 4:00 p.m.

An 11-year-old boy hanged himself after his 13-year-old girlfriend faked her own suicide as part of a “manipulative” social media prank, his mother apparently told The New York Post.

Tysen, the 11-year old boy who attempted to take his own life last month has passed away.

According to the Marquette Police Department, officers responded to a residence in Marquette for the report of an attempted suicide on March 14th. Upon arrival, the 11-year old male was found to be unresponsive. Tysen was then transported to the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, where he passed away on Tuesday as a result of his injuries.

Through an investigation, it was found that the 11-year old was engaged in communication with another juvenile via social media, prior to the incident. The Marquette County Prosecutor’s Office authorized charges including, telecommunications services-malicious use and using a computer to commit a crime for the other juvenile involved.

MARQUETTE — One Marquette Mother is in need of the communities’ support after her 11-year old son attempted to take his own life almost two weeks ago. Her son, Tysen is currently facing an unknown prognosis.

Tysen is a very active, positive, and social young man. He has been involved with a variety of sports from soccer to hockey.

On March 14th, Tysen attempted to take his own life, this of which was believed to have been provoked by a sort of social media prank. Since the incident, Tysen has been on life support at a Children’s Hospital at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Tysen’s Mom, Katrina wants to remind other parents to always monitor their children’s social media in hopes of preventing similar cases.

“It’s so easy to gain access to inappropriate things on social media or the internet; you just have to keep a close watch. You never really know what they are looking at, I thought my son was just texting, I had no idea it was so extreme. It was just such a short amount of time to know what was happening,” said Tysen’s Mother, Katrina Goss.

The family currently has no income, Katrina had planned to begin a new job but that was cancelled after the incident.
A campaign was created to raise money for the medical costs, with a goal of fifty-thousand dollars. If you are interested in donating towards Tysen’s medical expenses, click here.