HANCOCK — The Western Upper Peninsula Health Department says a former Michigan Tech University student has been diagnosed with tuberculosis (TB).
WUPHD Medical Director Terry Frankovich told ABC 10 Thursday afternoon that the student was last on campus several months ago. Her department is currently working with MTU officials to see if anyone spent extensive time with the student diagnosed with TB.
“There is no evidence to suggest any on-going TB exposure in the campus community related to this case,” said Frankovich.
TB is a treatable disease. It’s caused by bacteria that usually try infecting a person’s lungs. TB bacteria can be spread into the air when someone coughs or sneezes.
The only way someone knows that they have a TB infection is to have a skin or blood test. For more information about tuberculosis, click HERE.