At the northern end of Interstate 75 is a span that joins two nations and two cities that bear the same name: Sault Ste. Marie Michigan and Ontario. While the current International Bridge was constructed in the 1960’s, its forerunner was built in the previous century.
The International railroad bridge spans across the St. Mary’s River and canal system a total of nine times. On this day in 1887 the partnership agreement was signed that paved the way for building that first structure.
Detroit Bridge and Ironworks was awarded the contract for only the drawbridge, while the other eight spans were constructed by the Dominion Bridge Company of Montreal, which half a century later would play a part in building the Golden Gate Bridge.