Marquette home saved during garage fire

MARQUETTE – A quick response by firefighters on Sunday afternoon saved the home of an elderly Marquette man.
The Marquette Fire Department received a call about 2:15 p.m. Sunday to a reported structure fire at 580 West Hewitt Street.
Upon arrival, firefighters found the inside of the garage engulfed in flames around a work bench area.
The area included tools and household chemicals.
That garage is attached to the home and firefighters prevented the flames from spreading. Relatives arrived to comfort the elderly male resident of the home, whose name has not been released.
The home is located at 7th and Hewitt next to the Sandy Knoll Elementary School. Firefighters extinguished the fire in about 5 minutes.
A large fan was used to clear the smoke from the building. The garage received minor water, fire and smoke damage.
Even the snow on the eves of the garage was coated in soot.
Assisting firefighters on the scene were Marquette Police and the Marquette Department of Public works. Six firefighters and two trucks spent about an hour on the scene, according to a Marquette Fire Department press release.