Motel fire damages room, firefighters comfort children

Ishpeming Township — A fire Sunday afternoon damaged a room at the Triangle Motel along U.S. 41 in west Ishpeming. The fire was reported around noon Sunday in a room that was not occupied at the time.

Triangle Motel co-owner Judy Gregorich said her son-in-law and daughter, Jesse and Tasha Vial, smelled smoke coming from Room #3. Jesse Vial rushed to the room with a fire extinguisher while Tasha and others called 911 to send the fire department. Gregorich said her son-in-law had the fire out before firefighters arrived.

The fire was apparently located in a pile of books and papers in Room 3 that were too close to a heater. An estimated cost of the damage has not been released but is believed to be relatively minor. The guests were not in their room when the fire broke out, and were given another motel room. No injuries were reported.

In a a heart warming moment, Ishpeming Township firefighters comforted the owner’s grandchildren. Firefighters showed the kids some of their equipment and were seen lifting the owner’s grandchildren into the firetrucks and talking with the very young kids, a moment the children obviously enjoyed.

The Triangle Motel is co-owned by Ernest and Judy Gregorich.