A Negaunee home was damaged by fire early Monday morning.

Firefighters from the Negaunee City Fire Department say that they were called out to a house fire at 119 East Peck Street shortly after 2:30 a.m. Flames were coming out of a second story window of the two story home when firefighters arrived. They were able to enter the home and quickly extinguish the fire from the inside. The second floor of the home suffered considerable smoke and fire damage, and damage to the exterior was confined to the front and west side.

The family inside the home was able to escape to safety. They were renting the home and did not have renters insurance. The names of the home’s owner and the family have not been released at this time.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an unattended candle in a second floor bedroom.

The Negaunee City Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Negaunee City Police, Marquette County Rescue 131, Bell Ambulance, the Negaunee City Electric Department, and the SEMCO Gas Company.