Marquette home explodes due to natural gas

A natural gas explosion in a home on the southwest end of Marquette is under investigation.

Marquette City Fire officials say it happened around 8:00 a.m. on South Lake Street. A passerby contacted the Fire Department after smelling natural gas from the roadway. When firefighters arrived on scene, they found the front and south side windows of the home lying in the yard. There was no fire to be found. Firefighters shut down the gas supply and ventilated the home. They were then able to enter the residence, but nobody was found inside. Officials say the home received moderate structure damage to the basement and first floor.

The incident remains under investigation by Marquette City Fire and SEMCO Gas. The Marquette City Police Department assisted on scene.