Ishpeming home catches fire while workers attempt to thaw water lines

A single story home caught fire Saturday during a thawing effort by Ishpeming Public Works personnel.

Ishpeming Volunteer firefighters were called to 600 block of West Division Street around 12:30 p.m. after receiving reports of a structure fire. When fire crews arrived on scene, most of the fire had already been extinguished.

Ishpeming DPW had been attempting to thaw the water line running to the home, when electrical wiring in the attic over-heated causing a small fire in a near by roof support and the surrounding insulation. DPW personnel noticed smoke coming from the outer wall and used a portable fire extinguisher to knock down the small fire.

This is the second time this winter Ishpeming DPW crews thawing water pipes have caused a minor structure fire. The procedure to thaw water pipes is very dangerous, even when things are done correctly.

Minor damage to the home’s exterior wall and nearby electrical wiring was reported.

The family is still without water. They are attempting to run a garden hose from a neighbor’s home in the meantime.

Firefighters were on scene for about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported. Marquette County 131 was also dispatched for support.