The fire started around 10:00 p.m. on Saturday in the 400 block of New Buffalo Road in Negaunee. Negaunee City firefighters called in the Negaunee Township and Ishpeming Township Fire Departments for additional support.
The flames burned for close to four hours, sweeping through the interior of the first and second floors and causing heavy smoke and heat damage.
The homeowners were inside sleeping when the fire started, but were alerted by smoke alarms and escaped safely.
The Negaunee City Fire Department was called back to the home Sunday morning around 5:30 after receiving a report indicating that the flames had rekindled. Firefighters located several hot spots in the basement They remained on scene for three hours.
The Marquette County Pigs and Heat Fund is providing a temporary place stay in the meantime.
Marquette County Rescue 131 was also on the scene to assist and re-fill air bottles for firefighters. Negaunee City Police were also on scene.