Five people injured in Alger County fire

December 19th at 3:15 p.m.

A family of six is still recovering this afternoon after an early morning fire destroyed their home.

Troopers from the Munising detachment of the Michigan State Police were called out to a structure fire on Johnson Road in Munsing Township around 1:30 a.m. Upon arriving, troopers found a mobile home fully engulfed in flames. The five occupants were located in a nearby residence where they were receiving first aid for smoke inhalation, cuts, and burns.

The fire appears to have started near a wood burning stove. One of the children alerted the rest of her family after she was awakened by smoke in her room. Everyone was thought to have exited safely through a rear window, but once outside, they discovered that 4-year-old Arianna was still inside the home. 30-year-old Gaylord McArthur went back inside the burning dwelling, located Arianna broke out a window on the north side of the mobile home, and threw her out into the snow. Gaylord proceeded to exit out the same window. Police say his actions likely saved the life of Arianna. 24-year-old Barbara McGee, 5-year-old Brian McGee, and 3-year-old Alia McArthur were transported to Munising Memorial Hospital for treatment. Gaylord and Arianna were transferred to Marquette General Hospital due to the gravity of their injuries.

An account has been set up for the family at the Munising Community Credit Union, under the name “McGee/McArthur Family.” If you’d like to help out, you can send any monetary donations to P.O. Box 380 – Munising, MI 49862.

All other donations like clothing or toys for their children can be dropped off at the Alger County Sheriff’s Department – 101 E. Varnum Street in Munising.


December 19th at 10:26 a.m.

Five people in Munising Township were hurt this morning when a fire destroyed their home.

The Alger County Sheriff’s Department says the blaze started in a mobile home on Johnson Road shortly after 1:30 this morning. By the time emergency personnel arrived, all five injured family members were inside a neighbor’s home. Four of them are children. All five were inside the mobile home when it caught fire.

Police say all of them were taken to Munising Memorial Hospital for treatment. They suffered smoke inhalation, burns and other injuries while escaping. Two of them have been transferred to Marquette General Hospital for further treatment.

The Michigan State Police were the investigating agency. The Sheriff’s Department, the Munising Township Fire Department, Alger County EMS and Marquette General EMS all assisted at the scene.

The Sheriff’s Department is taking up a collection to help the family get back on its feet. Any donations from area residents willing to help can be dropped off at the Sheriff’s Department office at 101 East Varnum Street in Munising. A list of the specific items that the family needs can be found here.

Munising Community Credit Union has also created a fire relief fund for the family. Checks can be made out to Barbara McGee and can be mailed to:

Munising Community Credit Union

P.O. Box 380

Munising, MI   49862