Wood stove ashes suspected in garage fire

Wood stove ashes are the suspected cause of a garage fire last night in Delta County.

Gladstone Public Safety responded to a fire in a trash can in the 1600 block of Michigan Avenue at 10:34 p.m. When police arrived, the fire had fully engulfed a detached garage.

The garage and its contents had fire and smoke damage.

A preliminary investigation has determined that wood stove ashes were placed in the trash can earlier in the day and re-ignited.

The fire remains under investigation.

Assisting the Gladstone Public Safety Department were the Delta County Sheriff’s Office, Escanaba Public Safety and Rampart EMS.