Out-of-state deer, moose and elk guidelines

The DNR has some reminders about deer, elk and moose carcass importation for hunters returning to Michigan from trips out of state.

Restrictions exist on parts of free-ranging deer, elk or moose brought into Michigan from 18 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. The states are Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North and South Dakota, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming. Alberta and Saskatchewan are the two Canadian provinces.

Those areas have detected chronic wasting disease in free-ranging animals. Only deboned meat, antlers, antlers attached to a skull cap cleaned of all brain and muscle tissue, hides, upper canine teeth or a finished taxidermy mount may be brought into Michigan from those states and provinces.

If another state or province notifies you that a deer, elk or moose you brought into Michigan tested positive for chronic wasting disease, the DNR says you must call their Wildlife Disease Lab within two business days at (517) 336-5030 and provide details.

The list of states and provinces changes frequently, and any changes will be posted on the state’s chronic wasting disease website. In addition, the U.S. Department of Agriculture may have regulations on importation from Canada. The DNR says any hunters with questions about those potential regulations can call the USDA at (301) 734-3277.