Early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or other dementias is an important step in getting appropriate treatment, care and support services. Following are additional benefits to receiving a diagnosis as early as possible:
Benefits of an early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease
• Benefit from treatments that may improve symptoms and help maintain a level of independence longer.
• Have more time to plan for the future.
• Sign up for and participate in a clinical trial through Alzheimer’s Association TrialMatch® – a free, easy-to-use clinical studies matching service that connects individuals with Alzheimer’s, caregivers, healthy volunteers and physicians with current studies.
• Participate in decisions about care, transportation, living options, financial and legal matters.
• Develop a relationship with doctors and care partners.
• Benefit from care and support services, making it easier to manage the disease.
Individuals may experience one or more of the 10 Warning Signs in different degrees. If you notice any of them, please see a doctor.
Anyone with questions about Alzheimer’s disease or seeking information should contact the Alzheimer’s Association 24/7 toll-free Helpline at 800-272-3900 or visit alz.org®. Experts are available to take calls from individuals concerned with their own cognitive health, as well as from family members and friends concerned about a family member and seeking resources.