The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is seeking comments regarding proposed improvements to M-26 from the Portage Lake Lift Bridge in Hancock to Dollar Bay. MDOT staff from the Ishpeming Transportation Service Center (TSC) will meet with business owners and local residents to present plans for the project, answer questions and address concerns.
The meeting will be 4-5 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012 at the MDOT Houghton Maintenance Garage, 51750 Industrial Drive in Calumet.
Proposed plans include reconstruction of M-26 from Pewabic Road to Military Street, and widening the roadway from two to three lanes with a center left-turn lane and new curb and gutter. M-26 will be realigned with shallower curves from Maple Street to the Mount Ripley Ski Area, and about a half-mile east of Military Road.
In addition, there will be other construction issues:
– Slattery Road will be closed from Second Street to M-26.
– M-26 will be resurfaced from Goat Hill Road to Sixth Street in Dollar Bay.
– Crews will add 8-foot-wide paved shoulders to both sides of M-26 from the Portage Lake Lift Bridge to Dollar Bay.
– Drainage will be improved along the entire project.
– MDOT will acquire 15 feet of right of way from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recreation trail along a curve east of Military Road. A portion of the trail will be graded but will remain the same width following completion of the project. Access to the trail will be maintained at all times during construction.